Our editors pick the products and services we write about. When you buy through our links, we may get a commission. Learn more.


Why You Can Trust American Marijuana

American Marijuana has been a trusted cannabis site since 2014, with a team of experts in the field working to ensure you’re only receiving premium quality information.

Medical Disclaimer Content Integrity

How Cannabis Metabolites Work and How Certo Can Detox

If you’re using Certo for cannabis detox, it’s important to note that marijuana metabolites work differently than other types of drug waste products. More specifically, cannabinoids such as tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD) detach from fat cells in the body irregularly. As a result, they end up in urine for longer periods of time.

Beyond this, urine isn’t the only point of exit for cannabis waste products. Studies also show it can exit through the bowels. To offer a more comprehensive picture, about 60% of cannabis metabolites will be released through the bowels, with the other 40% going through urine.

That said, Certo may hold promise in cannabis detox. The fruit pectin that is Certo is a fiber and naturally helps you create bile. This allows you to draw more fat into your bowels – the very fat cannabis metabolites attach to. Due to this method, you’ll also find yourself consuming a large quantity of water. In turn, the remaining metabolites will be flushed out through urine.

Sure Jell or Certo?

Sure Jell is another fruit pectin brand found in the United States. Some will claim they have higher success rates with this brand than Certo.

However, the success is in the fruit pectin itself rather than the brand. That said, you can go even cheaper and use supermarket-branded fruit pectin and it will likely have the same effect.

How to Use Certo to Pass a Drug Test

Everyone has their own take on how you should incorporate Certo into your cannabis detox. On top of this, most of what you find online is false information. Likely due to the fact that the author hasn’t done the Certo drug test hack themselves.

That said, we’re laying out the “classic” regimen that has proven to be most effective. In order to complete this regimen, you’ll need:

  • Two sachets of Certo, sure jell, or another fruit pectin
  • Two bottles of Gatorade (or a similar beverage)
  • Aspirin
  • Multivitamin
  • 10 grams of creatine

1.) The Night Before

On the evening/night before your drug test, mix one sachet of Certo with a bottle of Gatorade. Drink this combination within 5 minutes followed by an 8-ounce glass of water. From there, ensure that you use the bathroom a handful of times before going to sleep.

We’re recommending Gatorade (or similar sports beverages) for a specific reason. They contain lots of sugar and dextrose, both of which are carbohydrates. These are absorbed and used rapidly, preventing the breakdown of body fat and effectively slowing the THC being eliminated in urine. This is important if we want most of the THC to exit through our bowels.

2.) The Next Morning

Six hours before your test, you’ll want to mix another sachet of Certo with another bottle of Gatorade. Again, drink it in 5 minutes and follow it up with 8 ounces of water. Until the moment of your drug test, you’ll want to urinate as frequently as possible.

Right after you consume the Certo, you’ll want to take an aspirin. This may help to mask drug toxins, depending on the circumstances.

3.) Four Hours Before the Test

When you’re 4 hours away from the drug test, take another aspirin, a multivitamin, and 10 grams of creatine. This will help to ensure your urine appears to be in balance rather than diluted.

30 minutes before your test, you can take an at-home drug test to ensure you’re properly using Certo to pass a drug test.

Still, is Certo Effective?

When it comes to a urine test, Certo is likely going to be ineffective. Being that it’s high in fiber, its properties help to remove cannabis from the bowels.

The problem is that while there’s science backing up its effectiveness, Certo is not effective enough to remove all cannabis metabolites. In fact, this in and of itself is impossible unless you have minimal amounts of cannabis waste in your system. Even then, it’s highly unlikely.

That said, the best way to maneuver a drug test is by going clean naturally. You can use Certo (and other detox methods) to speed up the process. However, there is no overnight trick that will allow you to pass a drug test.