CBD is not only sought after to be used by humans; it has also become one of the leading ingredients in pet care products. We surveyed 1061 American pet owners of different ages and levels of income to establish the dominant attitudes and observations by those who use CBD on their pets. In this survey, we sought to determine who recommended that the participants use CBD for their pets and what the users’ main concerns about the use of CBD were before they used it on their pets.
What was your vet's take on using CBD for pets?
- 35% of participants said that their vets advised them to use CBD on their pets
- 11% said that their vets overly advertised CBD for pets to them
- Only 10% admitted that their vets doubted the efficacy of CBD for pets, while 24% were neutral on this topic
Who did recommend you to use CBD for your pets?
- Half of participants said that their friends/family members/colleagues recommended CBD for pets to them
- 26% of the participants said their vets recommended CBD for pets to them
Concerns about CBD for Pets: Before vs After Using CBD
- Before using CBD on their pets, 20% were concerned about its efficacy. However, after using it, 56% of them were no longer worried about that issue
- Before using CBD on their pets, 61% of the participants were worried about its safety. However, after using it, 40% of them were no longer concerned about that.
- 20% of participants were concerned if using CBD on their pets was worth buying. After using it, 60% were less worried about that, and 25% no longer had this concern.
Pet CBD vs Other Medications
- 63% of participants have tried other medications before using CBD on their pets. 83% of them agreed that CBD was more effective, and 81% agreed that CBD was safer.
Post COVID-19, are you still willing to buy CBD for your pets?
- Although COVID-19 has affected their finances, 36% of the participants are still willing to buy CBD for pets post pandemic.
Would you recommend CBD for pets to others?
- 9 out of 10 participants would recommend CBD for pets to others.
Do you often check the labels on CBD products before buying for your pets?
92% often read the labels on CBD products before purchasing CBD for their pets. Among them:
- 19% of the participants are not sure if they understand the information labeled on CBD products
- 59% of the respondents believe they have a fair understanding of the information labeled on CBD products
- 20% of the participants are very sure that they understand all the information labeled on CBD products
Methodology and Limitations
We launched the survey on MTurk. To make sure the participants are U.S pet CBD users, we do two things:
- Set qualifications to ensure that participants are located only in the U.S.
- Set a qualifying question at the beginning of the survey. In this case, the qualifying question is “Do you use CBD on your pets?”, those who answered “No” will be disqualified and can not complete the survey.
Because the survey relies on self-reporting, issues such as telescoping and exaggeration can influence responses. Please also be advised that this survey’s results do not reflect our opinions.
Fair Use Statement
If you know someone who could benefit from our findings, feel free to share this project with them. The graphics and content are available for noncommercial reuse. All we ask is that you link back to this page so that readers get all the necessary information and we receive proper credit.