The method you use to get marijuana into your body usually determines whether you’ll experience adverse side effects or not. Using a bong to get a hit from your pot is considered a healthier alternative compared to a pipe or a joint. The other factor to consider when seeking a method of smoking is how efficient it is in the use of your cannabis. When you use a bong, also known as a water bong, you get most of the desirable elements of weed into the body. Read on to find out why and how a bong works.
What is a Bong/Water Pipe?
A bong is a filtration device used for smoking marijuana, tobacco, or other smokable herbs. Bongs come in different shapes and styles, but the general principle is that they are intended to pass the smoke through water before you inhale it. By moving it through the water, you filter out undesirable elements and only allow purified smoke through.
What Does a Bong Look Like?
Check out this basic diagram.
The parts of a bong are as follows:
- Bowl Piece: – This is where you put your weed. The weed needs to be ground before it can be fed into the bowl piece.
- Down Stem: – This is a pipe, which connects the bowl piece to the main chamber. For functional purposes, the down stem usually stands at an angle of 450
- Main Chamber: – This may be cylindrical or have any other shape. One of its ends is open because it is the mouth-piece from which you inhale the smoke. On the other end of it is closed to retain water in the chamber as per the above diagram.
A bong may have many more bells and whistles, but the parts mentioned above are the main functional parts.
How Does It Work?
A bong works by passing the smoke of burnt marijuana through water before it gets into your mouth. Once smoke comes through the water, the water cools it and dissolves water-soluble toxins and residues such as ash. Most cannabinoids aren’t water-soluble, and, therefore, they remain in the smoke.
How to Smoke Marijuana Out of a Bong
The following is a step by step guide on how to set up a bong, how to smoke a bong, and how to use a water bong in general.
i. Fill the bong with clean water putting it directly through the mouthpiece. The water should be about 1 inch above the point where the down stem meets the main chamber.
ii. Pack your weed into the bowl piece. One of the practical bong tips is to learn how to pack a bong. Pack it in such a way that its fine particles won’t be sacked into the water chamber and that it’s not too tightly packed to prevent air from getting through.
iii. Light weed in the bowl while your mouth is on the mouthpiece, and suck the smoke into the chamber. Hold the lighter to the bowl, and don’t inhale at this point.
iv. Once you have enough smoke in the chamber, without moving your mouth from the mouthpiece, remove the bowl from the down stem.
v. Inhale the smoke deeply into the lungs and hold it in for a few seconds.
vi. Repeat the process if necessary or hand over the bong to the next person if you are smoking with friends.
Now that you have learned how to hit a bong, let’s move on to other questions.
Is Bong the Healthiest Way to Smoke Marijuana?
Some people may consider a bong to be the best way to smoke marijuana, but whether the bong is the healthiest way to smoke weed is a matter of debate. We can, however, confidently state that in a bong vs pipe or bong vs joint contest for which is healthier, the bong wins hands down. So the answer to the question, “are bongs healthier?” Yes! If you care for your lung, bong instead of smoking.
So why use a bong? Read below to find out.
- It cools the smoke before getting it into the lungs, giving you a smooth feel and protecting your lungs from the heat.
- It filters the smoke, and you, therefore, don’t get particulate matter and some toxins into your lungs when smoking.
- If the bong is made of plastic or metal, your smoke may contain toxins likely to emanate from chemical reactions when you burn the weed. Always use a glass bong, it is more stable.
- Water is essentially your bong filter, and if it has impurities, the smoke will contain the same contaminants.
Does Smoking Weed using a Bong Get You High?
Weed smoked using a bong remains psychoactive because THC is not water-soluble.
What Studies Has to Say
From the available research, passing weed through water filters some of its toxins. The other alternative that moves it through water is a vaporizer, and it may be considered as healthy. The vape is, however, not necessarily as smooth as the bong, and it’s, therefore, not the most efficient way to smoke weed.
You need to learn how to rip a bong else you might drop and break it or lose all the smoke you have gathered in the chamber. The bong may not be the best thing to smoke weed out of, but it is a healthier alternative when compared to unfiltered methods. While smoking using a bong is healthy, there are still risks to lungs associated with all kinds of smoking. To eliminate all risk of lung cancer, use oils, capsules, cookies, or gummies to get your fix.